Now there is no doubt about an international airport coming up at Mangalagiri in Guntur district, close to the future capital Amaravati. Contrary to oft-repeated claims by those in the government that Gannavaram Airport would be developed into an international one and would serve the needs of Amaravati, the state cabinet which met here on Thursday made an allocation of 5000 acres for an airport at Mangalagiri.
Apparently to ward off criticism from people in Krishna district, officials and people's representatives have been saying that the main airport would be Gannavaram though the master plan for Amaravati, as prepared by Singapore consultants, indicated that an international airport would come up at Mangalagiri.
The officials dismissed that proposal as something for the future, not now. The emphasis, they kept saying, was that Gannavaram would be the main airport and the expansion works initiated there were shown as evidence.
By another decision, the cabinet meeting, chaired by chief minister Chandrababu Naidu, cleared a proposal to develop the Viskahaptnam airport by extending its runway and ensure better connectivity to other cities in the country and abroad. An MoU will be signed with the Airports Authority of India to this effect, according to information and public relations minister Palle Raghunath Reddy.
The cabinet also cleared a proposal to constitute city tourism councils for Amaravati, Visakhapatnam, Tirupati and Rajahmundry. These councils will allot lands for tourism projects.
A vedic university is to be set up in Tarlipeta village in Srikakulam district. An extent of 209.84 acres of land to be allotted to Srimat Ubhaya Vedantacharya Peetam for the vedic university. The peetham was established by Sri Tridandi China Jeer Swamy and is based out of Sitanagaram on the Krishna river bank in Guntur district.
OTHER CABINET DECISIONS
* Subsidy of Rs. 1.5 per unit in power bills to ferro alloys companies
* Rs. 61 crore to displaced families of marine outfall pipeline works in Pudimadkaa in Atchyutapuram mandal in Visakhapatnam district
* filling 300 veterinary assistant posts in animal husbandry deperatment
* International school in PPP mode involving Priyadarsini Educational Society and Nova Educational Society consortium, which has an agreement with Kings college in London.
* Promotion of golf toursim in Mudasarlova in Visakhapatnam in 12.72 acres of land
* Ex-gratia of Rs 4 lakh each to family members of six persons who died in due to torrential rains in Guntur district