You are at Nirbhaya gangrape case : Maneka Gandhi stokes cont...

Nirbhaya gangrape case : Maneka Gandhi stokes controversy over juvenile convict


In December 2015, it will be three years, when the bone-chilling and shocking gangrape of 23-year-old Nirbhaya took place inside a moving bus in the national capital on the night of Dec 16, 2012. Three years after the brutal crime, the juvenile convict is all set to walk free in December. Amidst the heated debate over weather the justice has been served into the horrific gangrape case, the Women and Child Development Union Minister Mankea Gandhi stoked a controversy.

While talking to a news channel, Maneka said that the justice cannot be confused with law. As per the law, the juvenile convict has served his sentence." "We cannot do anything, unless he commits another crime", she said, while adding that "he will be under close watch, post his release". Meanwhile, as per a report published in The Quint, the juvenile, who is now 20-year-old shows no signs of remorse. His counsellor told the media that he did not observe any positive change in him, during his rehabilitation and he has acknowledged that his minor age saved his life.

The juvenile convict, whose identity has not yet been revealed, is said to be the most brutal of all accused. Now, he has put on 10 kg weight. In lieu of his security, he was kept in a solitary confinement and was not allowed to mingle with other inmates. As of now, the juvenile, who is a native of Badaun district in Uttar Pradesh, is set to be released on Dec 15. According to reports, he may be released a week before his scheduled release, as he fears for his life. He, alongwith his mother will be given Rs 20,000 and will be taken to an undisclosed location, from his shelter home.

Nirbhaya's gangrape had led to massive outrage and protests, not only in Delhi, but also across the entire country. She succumbed to her internal injuries on Dec 29, 2012 at a hospital in Singapore. Apart from the minor convict, all other five accused were sentenced to death. But one of them was found dead inside Tihar jail on March 11, 2013. OneIndia News

Related News


Recent Galleries


Recent News