- Monday, July 21: The Telangana government announces Indian tennis player Sania Mirza as its brand ambassador.
- Tuesday, July 22: Chief Minister K. Chandrasekhar Rao appoints Sania as the brand ambassador along with a cheque of Rs.1 crore as grant for training and to meet other expenses to participate in the US Open and other tournaments.
- Rao said Telangana was proud over the achievements of the 'daughter of Hyderabad'.
- Chief Secretary Rajiv Sharma said the government would appoint popular public figures as its brand ambassadors to promote the interests of the newly created state.
- Thursday, July 24: Telangana BJP leader K Laxman flayed the TRS government's decision to appoint tennis star Sania Mirza as brand ambassador of the newly carved-out state, terming her as "daughter-in-law" of Pakistan and questioning her credentials for the honour.
- Laxman: Sania Mirza is unworthy as Telangana ambassador because she had never participated in agitation for a separate state of Telangana
- Sania, he said, was born in Maharashtra and settled in Hyderabad later and hence was a "non-local".
- The Indian twitterati, including political leaders and social icons, slam K Laxman over the 'daughter-in-law of Pakistan' remark
- Thursday, July 24, 9.08 am: Sania Mirza tweets: "...nobody in this world is perfect and never will be..but judging people and hating is the worst thing in the world
- 9.09 am: Sania Mirza's tweet: "I pray for people who cannot be happy for others and who cannot let go of the pain and hatred inside them..May Allah bless u all"
- The tennis star issues a statement that says: "I am married to Shoaib Malik, who is from Pakistan. I am an Indian, who will remain an Indian until the end of my life."
She represents India. Doesn't matter who she is married to. In 21st century a marriage happens between two individuals and not two nations.
Calling @MirzaSania 'daughterinlaw of Pak' - ugly sexism. BJP pl don't force feed us this jingoist khap-mindedness! V r proud of Sania!
Sonia Gandhi marries Indian remains 'daughter of Italy' Sania Mirza after marriage becomes daughter in law of Pakistan #BJPLogic patriarchal
Sania Mirza is a Pakistani, because she's married to one. But Sonia Gandhi is an Italian, despite being married to an Indian. Brilliant!
Calling Sania Mirza daughter in law of Pakistan is reflection of sick mind. She is the daughter of India. Proud of her achievements.
When a daughter gets married she does not disconnect her roots+.Just as a son does not!Grow up people!Sania now is pride for India&Pakistan!
She is an Indian. Represents India at the highest levels in tennis. If that isnt enough.. Dont know what will be??
This is a bizarre controversy
Manish Tewari on Telangana BJP leader calling Sania Mirza daughter in law of Pakistan
We should welcome Telangana Govt's decision of choosing Sania Mirza as its brand ambassador
This is a unfortunate controversy, Sania Mirza has made India proud at the world stage
Gaurav Gogoi, Congress
If someone says this then it reflects his culture
MM Joshi, BJP on Telangana BJP leader calling Sania Mirza daughter in law of Pakistan
She never fought for Telangana,moreover she is married to a Pakistani, ppl will not appreciate
V Hanumantha Rao,Congress on Sania Mirza
Its decision of the Telangana Govt and it should be respected, she is an Indian citizen
K Kavitha,TRS on Sania Mirza
Wherever she may have married but she is an Indian citizen,this should be respected
Jay Panda, BJD on Sania Mirza
Well this is a point. BJP's stand is well taken
Subramanian Swamy on Telangana BJP leader calling Sania Mirza daughter in law of Pakistan
When a woman is made brand ambassador then controversies erupt but not when a man is made an ambassador
Renuka Chowdhury on Sania Mirza
This is foolish talk,we don't care what anyone says, she is an international achiever
Keshav Rao,TRS on Sania Mirza
Every Indian is allowed to marry whoever they want and wherever they want
MS Gill, Congress on Sania Mirza