You are at Nice Terror Attack: Death toll 80, France Extends ...

Nice Terror Attack: Death toll 80, France Extends Emergency By Another Three Months

Thursday night, French President Francois Hollande has said the attack was “undeniably” of a “terrorist nature”, while announcing the extension of the state of emergency by another three months.

“The attack was 'undeniably' of a 'terrorist nature'. The state of emergency that was implemented in the awake of the November terror attacks in Paris and was supposed to end on July 26 will be extended by another three months,” said President Hollande. The President said France would “again reinforce its (military) action in Iraq and Syria”.

“France as a whole is under the threat of Islamic terrorism. We have to demonstrate absolute vigilance and show determination that is unfailing,” says Hollande, who announced that he would visit Nice on Friday to express his support for the city. Earlier before the attack on revellers, in his Bastille Day speech on Thursday, Hollande had said that the State of Emergency would be ending.

Since the November 13th terror attacks in Paris, France had been under a State of Emergency, and authorities were on high alert due to UEFA Euro 2016, the European men's football championship taking place. Meanwhile, the truck driver has been identified as Nice Matin, a man of Tunisian origin from Nice. His identity papers were found in the cab of the lorry, Sky News reported.

The man, believed to be 31, fired on crowds of people before he was shot dead by police, reported Residents have been told to stay indoors as the emergency services work at the scene.

Related News


Recent Galleries


Recent News