Union Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu presented the railway budget in the Parliament on Friday.Here are the highlights for you:
- Over next five years we are expecting investment of Rs 8.5 lakh crore in Railways.
- To Spend Rs 96,182 Cr On Capacity Expansion In for year 2016
- Planned budget for 2015-16 pegged at 1.11 trillion rupees. Size of railway budget up by 52 per cent this financial year.
- 24x7 all India helpline number will be operational soon
- Mobile App to address complaints of the people to be developed
- E-ticketing to go paperless
- Passengers to to get SMS alert services about train arrivals and departures
- General Compartments to be increased, ladders to be replaced and 24-26 coaches in some indentified trains
- Wi Fi service in 400 stations
- Partnerships for longterm financing, modernise infrastructure, improve connectivity
- Integrated ticketing to be introduced, defence travel system to be developed for easy travel
- Surveillance cameras in ladies compartments and select mainline compartments to be installed
- Passenger amenities to be improved with 67% more funds
- 10 major cities to have satellite railway terminals
- 84% more investments, 77 new projects planned
- Railway electrification increased by 1330% over last yer
- Safety plans with ISRO. Level crossings at 3438 to be eliminated
- Cameras to be installed inside coaches to ensure greater security.
- Toll free No.182 – for security related complaints
- To prevent fire in coaches, train protection warning system and train collision avoiding system to be installed.
- 917 safety work projects to eliminate over 3,000 unmanned crossings in all states
- TTEs to have paperless handheld device
- Coastal Connectivity program with Rs 2000 crs
- Four railway research centres in four cities
- The speed on some railway corridors to be increased to 160-200 kmph