The Army has so far donated Rs. 65 crore of the promised Rs. 100 crore to the Prime Minister's Relief Fund, for 2014 flood victims of Jammu and Kashmir. Army chief General Dalbir Singh Suhag on Wednesday said the procedure adopted by the Controller of Defence Accounts (CDA) has resulted in the delay. The Army had faced embarrassment after reports emerged that many of its personnel were upset with the top brass for its decision to deduct their one-day pay without consent.
General Suhag on Wednesday said that within 2-3 days of PM Modi's announcement, the Navy had decided to donate a day's pay of its personnel. "I think two weeks later, the Air force had announced. And I think in four weeks, the MoD had announced one day's pay. I had not announced because I said I must seek consent and only after I seek consent, I will announce," he told reporters in New Delhi.
Mr Suhag said that he waited for Army commanders' conference in October, 2013 where everyone said contribution must be made. "I told them to go back to their command and check from their formations, units and individuals... ," he said, adding that a list was made of people who were not willing to pay. Following this, he said he made the announcement on January 15 last year and the list was given to the CDA. "But the CDA, after a gap of at least two months, came up.
CDA said every individual must fill up a form that he is voluntarily contributing," he said, adding that 12 lakh forms were printed and sent out to soldiers across the country, including those posted at remote locations like the Siachen. "I think by September end, Rs. 60.4 crore had been transferred. In last two months, till December 15, Rs. 4.6 crore were also transferred. Even now the payment is being made. Army has given Rs. 65 crore and Navy about Rs. 2 crore and the IAF about Rs. 9 crore," he said.
Nearly 150 people were killed in the floods in Jammu and Kashmir in September, 2014.