BAPU - One of the great Indian Artist and Eminent painter, cartoonist, movie director, writer, journalist. World class artist. Uniquely personalized style blending to perfection the classical Telugu lines and modern techniques. Had an enormous impact on contemporary Telugu arts, movies, etc.
Sattiraju Lakshmi Narayana, also known as Bapu, was born on 15 December 1933 in Narsapur, West Godavari district, Andhra Pradesh, India. He is a filmmaker in the Telugu film industry. He is also a popular artist, painter, cartoonist, and designer.
He graduated as a lawyer from University of Madras in 1955.
He joined as political cartoonist for the newspaper Andhra Patrika in 1955.
Bapu introduced a style of painting that uses simple bright colours. His unique style of economy of strokes, freehand drawing and lack of background clutter makes his paintings simple, beautiful and popular. He specializes in Hindu mythological characters and has painted the Hindu epic Ramayana as a pictorial story.
In his paintings, characters like Shiva, Bhima, Duryodhana look distinctly male with wide chests, bigger jaws and large biceps, while Krishna and Rama are more feminine in build. All his female characters (including the Hindu goddesses) have doe-like eyes, a waist-hip ratio of 0.7, voluptuous breasts, long hair and a sharp nose. In fact, the phrase [Bapu Bomma] ("Bapu's painting") has become synonymous with a beautiful Telugu girl. Another character called Rendu Jadala Seetha ("Seetha with two plaits") later became a synonym for any girl wearing her hair in two plaits.
Bapu has also introduced a new style of cursive writing in Telugu. This font is his own handwriting and reflects the same simplicity as his art.
Collaborations with other artists
He worked with Satyam Sankaramanchi and drew a hundred and one pictures for each of the stories in Amaravati Kathalu. He is the popular half of the Bapu-Ramana
(Mullapudi Venkata Ramana) pair that made movies that went on to define subtlety in Telugu cinema. Ramana provided an able foil, providing script/dialogue that suited Bapu's visuals and this celebrated friendship and professional associatioon gave many good cinemas. He collaborated with him and gave life to Mullapudi's characters Budugu and his family in the form of pictures.
He helped to unearth great artists such as Ravu Gopal Rao, and get the best out of those such as Rajendra Prasad and Aamani.
Movies directed by Bapu
1. Saakshi (The Witness), 1967
2. Bangaru Pichika (The Golden Bird), 1968
3. Buddhimanthudu (The Good Boy), 1969
4. Inti Gowravam (Honour of the House), 1970
5. Balaraju Katha (The Story of Balaraju), 1970
6. Sampoorna Ramayanam (The Complete Ramayana), 1971
7. Andhala Ramudu(The Handsome Rama), 1973
8. Sri Ramanjaneya Yuddham (The War between Rama and Hanuman), 1974
9. Muthyala Muggu, 1975
10. Seetha Kalyanam (The Wedding of Sita), 1976
11. Sri Rajeswari Vilas Coffee Club, 1976
12. Bakta Kannappa (Worshipper Kannappa), 1976
13. Seeta Swayamvar, 1976
14. Sneham (Friendship), 1977
15. Manavoori Pandavulu(Pandavas of Our Village), 1978
16. Gorantha Deepam(The Flickering Lamp), 1978
17. Anokha Shivbhakt, 1978
18. Toorupu Velley Railu(The Train Going East), 1979
19. Vamsa Vriksham(The Family Tree), 1980
20. Rajadhi Raju (The King of Kings), 1980
21. Pandanti Jeevitham, 1980
22. Kaliyuga Ravanaasurudu (Demon Ravana of Kaliyug), 1980
23. Hum Paanch (We Five), 1980
24. Tyagayya (the life of Saint Tyagaraja), 1981
25. Radha Kalyanam (The Marriage of Radha), 1981
26. Bezubaan (The Mute), 1981
27. Krishnavatharam(The Incarnation of Krishna), 1982
28. Pelleedu Pillalu (The Marriageable Children), 1982
29. Neethi Devan Mayagugiran (Even the God of Justice Is Confused), 1982
30. Edi Dharmam Edi Nyayam (What Is Truth? What Is Justice?), 1982
31. Manthri gari Viyyankudu, 1983
32. Woh Saat Din (Those Seven Days), 1983
33. Seethamma Setha (The Doings of Seetha), 1984
34. Mohabbat (The Love), 1985
35. Pyari Behna (Beloved Sister), 1985
36. Bullet, 1985
37. Jackie, 1985
38. Mera Dharam (My Duty), 1986
39. Pyaar Ka Sindoor (The Vermilon of Love), 1986
40. Kalyana Thamboolam (The Betrothal), 1986
41. Diljala (Heartburn), 1987
42. Prem Pratigyaa (The Oath of Love), 1989
43. Pelli Pustakam (The Book of Marriage), 1991
44. Mr.Pellam (Mr.Wife), 1993
45. Srinadha Kavi Sarvabhoumudu, 1993
46. Pelli Koduku, 1994
47. Pramaatma, 1994
48. Rambantu(The Servant of Rama), 1996
49. Radha Gopalam (Radha and Gopalam), 2005.Hindi Movies are Hum Paanch, Bezubaan, Pyari Behna, Mohobbat, Mera Dharam, Diljala, Woh Saath Din and Prem Pratigya.Style