Can you remember how we used to communicate with friends and family before WhatsApp came into the picture? Can you vaguely recall those SMS packs you bought every now and then, and actually picking up the phone to call people? Technological dark ages there, amirite? For good or bad, the advent of the instant messaging app on smartphones has completely revolutionized the way we connect. Here are 10 ways how it has come about.
1. We actually used to ring the doorbell to our friend’s house before – then we took to calling them. Now we WhatsApp them that we’re waiting outside.
2. Wishing everyone on festivals and special days used to cost a bomb with telecom companies charging standard SMS and call rates on those days. With WhatsApp, we do not have to care about those limitations anymore.
3. While standard smileys and emoticons were common in SMS language, the whole range of WhatsApp emojis have kind of rendered actual words unnecessary. Why say ‘Cheers!’ when you could just send an emoji of two beer mugs clunking?
4. Taking pictures and sharing them with friends instantly would earlier mean mailing them or putting them up on Facebook, or something that was known as MMS. It’s now click and share in the matter of a few seconds with WhatsApp.
5. Being awkward in a group has now gone digital with the feature for group chats in WhatsApp. Earlier you had to try hard to avoid a group of people – now you can set the lot of them on permanent mute.
6. Sharing porn among friends used to require CDs, pen drives and Bluetooth. Now your WhatsApp media folder is a virtual repository of all things nasty, thanks to this free-for-all technology and some despicable friends!
7. When we actually get our faces away from our screens long enough to make some actual human contact, we have a whole lot of PJs and funny photos to share with the next person – thanks to the endless forwarded messages we get on WhatsApp. Chances are, though, that the other person already knows them because they got them too. On their WhatsApp.
8. If annoying phone calls, spam mails and text messages were not enough, tele-marketers have found yet another way to shove their products down our throats by sending out WhatsApp pings.
9. Any modicum of privacy we might have salvaged from a world going rapidly digital has been stripped to its last bone, after WhatsApp introduced the blue tick ‘message seen’ feature. Great, people now know what an uncaring a**hole you are.
10. There are now two kinds of people in the world – normal ones and social pariahs who do not have WhatsApp on their phone. If ever there was a bewildering revelation for the former, it was to not see someone on their WhatsApp contact list. Like, how do those people even communicate? Homing pigeons and smoke signals?
Photo: © Whatsapp (Main Image)